Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Timber"!


We decided to get some trees cut down from our property this year. We fell in love with this property, partly because of the trees, so it was with mixed emotions that we had to agree that the trees had to go.

One Cedar was causing so much damage to our driveway with its roots that we need to replace the driveway and possibly the concrete parking pad. (Its a good thing this particular tree was felled - the trunk we discovered, was diseased and had a hole right down its middle - so we saved ourselves or our neighbours a disaster). It turns out that I had good reasons to sleep downstairs on stormy nights!

Another Cedar had a split trunk - with 5 skinny trunks all waiting to get blown down onto our home. Two Pines were pushing up a neighbor's private roadway with their roots, needles dropping and clogging their drains. We had a beautiful California Redwood growing 12 feet from our family room window - and we all know how big they grow!

We had a total of 10 trees felled!

Over the years, Craig has removed 6 or so smaller, more manageable trees. We've grumbled about pine needles getting tracked into the house on shoes and the dog, the yellow dusty pollen on the pines which sticks to our windows, cars and deck every spring, tree sap on shoes, on the dog - I'm sure you all can relate!

So, they've gone - I'd like to say "good riddance" but I am tinged with sadness - well, just a little. We now lack what little privacy we once had. Oh well, I can replant - I'm looking online - alpine trees, evergreen hedges - stuff which will be easier to maintain. I'm eager to get replanting and I think I have an idea of what to do.

Any landscaping advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

And I'll definitely sleep sounder on stormy nights!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I have a little rest before the next project starts?