Monday, September 8, 2008

The Family Room

We've started redecorating our Family Room ... yet again!

It is such a dark room and we're struggling to give it the light it deserves. I've felt like a cave-woman, living in a dull and darkened room these past few years.

So, in order to correct the 'cavey-ness', Craig removed the 'pair of boobies' light fixtures from the ceiling and installed recessed lights in the spring - that helped, but it didn't help much:(

I picked a new paint colour - Swiss Coffee, aka White with a hint of cream. First coat is on ... it needs a second coat today.

If this doesn't help, then I'll need to address the big white elephant sitting front and centre ... well, its brown, tan, stoney, floor to ceiling with a big black metal box sitting in the middle of it. The fireplace! I'm either going to take a paintbrush and my Swiss Coffee to the 'beautiful??' 1970's Yellowstone inspired 'work of art' or simply have an accident with the sledgehammer!

Although, I know that touching the fireplace will then have a knock-on effect ... new fire maybe? Folks admire our stove and say things like "wow - that's unique" or "is that a vintage stove"? I simply reply that its the crappy stove which came with the house and I think it looks like it came off a steam engine. Its only saving grace is that it kicks out some serious heat in a wintertime (along with a ton of black soot which, gets into everything).

Then, of course, there's my wonderful 'blotter' carpet - original 1979 chestnut brown - nope, I'm not going to say any more about 'blotter' - those of you who've seen her, know how she is - and life will be a lot less carefree when she's not around ...

I'm getting distracted by my list of home improvements. I wanted to discuss being overwhelmed and procrastinating.

You see, I've been wanting to start re-painting the Family Room all summer long. I kept putting it off and putting it off. Then, an opportunity arose ... and I put it off. Another opportunity ... I put it off. I was kind of frozen at the thought of 'all that work'.

Last weekend, Craig simply picked up a paintbrush and began cutting in for me - just like that! No big deal! He doesn't see that we're going to be living in a mess for a few days, with no curtains and Family Room stuff strewn about the rest of the house. He just picks up the brush and starts painting. Of course, I'm not too far behind him with my roller (and Cadey behind me with hers)!

I could tell you of many instances that my husband has just needed to give me a push in the right direction! He knew that by simply picking up the paintbrush and making that first brushstroke that I'd be there right behind him!

How all this is true for me and my relationship with Jesus! He's waiting for me to make the first, small move and then He jumps in to fulfill my spirit and soul. Jesus has called me to obey several times in my own walk of faith. I struggle greatly to obey ANYBODY!! But, when things are laid upon my heart by means of the Holy Spirit, of course I struggle, but its a struggling to understand why.

I still put things off, pray, struggle, pray struggle, put off, pray, pray, pray ... come to a point of acceptance or understanding, and allow my heart to be changed, obey (or even simply strive to obey) and my life seems so much brighter.

Just like my Family Room ... I hope:)

No comments: