Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A Dream come True

Between the ages of 10 and 15, I had an obsession. Nope, it wasn't with pop music, cutesy teen singers, soccer players or movie stars - oddly enough, it was owls!

My bedroom walls were covered with pictures of owls, paintings of owls, and my own artwork. I researched them, learned all their Latin names, their calls and what area of the world each specific owl lived in.

I had a collection of ornaments, friends and relatives always knew what to buy me for my birthday and Christmas. I still have some of these ornaments, although now they're tucked away in a box someplace safe.

I had a fascination with nature at large at that age. I loved working in the yard, growing plants from seed, loved being outdoors in general and I LOVED owls.

I remember once, my Dad took me to collect owl pellets (Mum was totally repulsed) - we found some, brought them home and soaked them in bleach, then investigated what the owl had regurgitated (bones and skin). It was such an adventure for me!

I've seen owls from a distance, mainly at night - just out of sight of vehicles headlights. I've seen them at the zoo - perched oh so tamely in the raptor exhibit.

But last night, (as I let Meg out for her bedtime pee), on our birdbath - 25 ft away from me - was an owl, startled by us, taking flight, coming towards me!

I just stood there in awe! It flew above my head, then over and into a tree ... in complete silence!

My memory of those couple of seconds were of wonderment, trying to drink in this birds beauty, its size, its feathers, its eyes ... its silence. That was eerie - its true - their feathers do not make a sound AT ALL.

I knew that there were owls in the neighbourhood - I've heard their calls over the years. I feel so lucky, I'm still on a high from this encounter ... I'll be on the lookout again tonight. I think it was a Barred Owl ... I think ...

Meg was as bewildered as me for a moment, then proceeded to go potty and sniff around the birdbath for a few minutes - no big deal to her! I think I need to check her breed characteristics - I thought she was a retriever, gun dog, (bird dog) - but she's turned out to be a plain old sofa dog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It brings me pleasure to read about the joy owls bring you. It is so neat to see the way God puts these unique desires in each of us.
My opinion is that God gave you that owl to view, knowing that this would bring you such happiness. Thank you for sharing Lisa. I never tire of reading your blog:)