Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cadence's Flute Recital

Cadence began taking flute lessons 3 years ago, through the Gene Nastri School here in Mukilteo.

I admit that I am living a part of my life through my kids! When I was her age, I got to "try out" for the flute at school - there was only one flute available (buying your own flute in those days was simply not an option). Several girls competed for this flute - whoever got a note out of it got to learn. Needless to say, I didn't get the instrument - I got the double-bass instead!!! I don't know how somebody decides - Lisa's crap at the flute - let's give her the biggest string instrument we can find - she'll do much better with that!

Anyways, Cadence is coming to a turning point in her flute playing days. She doesn't want to take part in school band again in 8th grade and doesn't want to entertain the idea of joining the Everett Youth Symphony orchestra (option B). She really enjoys her private lessons and the music she plays with her teacher (Kristie Wiant) ... we're not sure what's next for her musical career, but she says she'd be happy just taking lessons from Kristie for a while ... so, we will do that and wait and see what High School brings along in a year.

She's made some major progress this year with her breathing and 'embouchure' and she's sounding great!

Yes, she has spent many times trying to teach me how to make a sound on the flute - after all these years - I still can't do it :( I'll stick to my only musical outlet - very rusty piano playing.

No comments: