Thursday, July 10, 2008

my HOT husband

My husband, Craig, is soooo HOT! Well...I mean...I think he's hot (but I'm talking about his body temperature type of hotness today).

For most of the year, I can cuddle up to him in bed and warm up my hands, feet, nose (yeah, I admit it, I always have a cold nose) and another area which I won't mention. I make Craig giggle and squeal with my coldness - sometimes he shrieks so loud that he disturbs the kids and the dog!

BUT ...

This time of year, the roles are reversed. Craig cuddles up to me because I'm so cool - he tells me that its "repayment time" for the rest of the year! Its a good job that he falls asleep so quickly (in under a minute), because I can't stand his hotness in the summer. We bought a king-size bed a few years ago, so I simply move over a little more to get out of his hot zone ... and he's sleeping like a baby and he doesn't even know!

When we were first married, we rented a flat (apartment) for a year. It was in a converted Victorian house. It was all self-contained, we had 2 rooms (Living room with a huge bay-window and bedroom) and 2 box-rooms with no windows as a kitchen and a bathroom - all joined together with a hallway.

We married in May (1989), so it was spring when we found this flat. We failed to notice that the only means of heating the place was a small gas wall heater in the living room. By October, we noticed that it was getting much cooler, by November we'd discovered that we needed more than our love to keep us warm!

We invented another use for the hairdryer ... We would take turns blowing hot air into the bed with the hairdryer. One of us would be in the bed, getting all the warmth, and the other one of us was standing (shivering) at the bottom of the bed with the hairdryer pointing under the quilt. We'd argue over whose turn it was, but it was always more beneficial if Craig was already in the bed because of his warmth.

Guess what our first Christmas present was to ourselves ... an electric blanket! Very romantic, I know.

Looking back, we've always been able to laugh at ourselves and our situations. We may be as different as chalk and cheese in many ways but our humour (no, its not a spelling mistake, British people spell it that way) has grown so very similar over the years. We finally 'get' each other.

I'm wondering, though, if he'll be laughing when I begin to experience hot flashes ... those will be coming soon ... I'd better suggest we get a ceiling fan for our bedroom remodel too :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hee hee...this post made me laugh out loud several times. i love the image of you or craig standing at the end of the bed with a hair dryer! i can totally relate...i am always freezing and ryan is so hot. we got a king size bed a few years back and it has made it easier for him, but not me!!

Anonymous said...

Laughing out loud! Last night I was cold and I asked my typical question to Scott,"Are you hot?" He answered,"Noooo." Darn. That meant I couldn't put my cold self on him, to warm up.
My nose always gets freezing and I can't fall asleep until it warms up:)
I thought I was the only one!!