Tuesday, July 15, 2008

No, I'm not wearing my 12 year old daughter's clothes ... yet!

I mentioned in a previous post that I've lost 30 lbs since last summer. My weight loss began just before Thanksgiving (November) last year when I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. This came as no surprise to me - I'd had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies, and had been described as "glucose intolerant" by my doctor for years.

It came at a bad time for me though ... I'd just had implant surgery on my gums ... and I turned 40 :( For a time there, I was fragile and became acutely aware that I had to "own" this for the rest of my life - and that I am responsible for what I eat - and that I have to learn what is good for my body and what is not.

I'd lost 10 lbs by the New Year and have "whittled" away another 20lbs since then.

Ironically, last summer, I spent quite a lot of money on new clothes, resigned to the fact that I was almost 40 and just gaining some extra weight. I gave lots of my old skinny clothes to charity and prepared myself to enter into a new decade. I wore a size 10 (UK 12), but I was in denial of actually being a size larger than that, as I'd squeeeeeeze into my jeans.

I was excited about the new style of the empire waist/babydoll tops in the stores, because they'd hide my "muffin top" (or "mushroom" as I wrongly described it to my kids once, who rolled around the floor with laughter so much that it has now become known as a "mushroom").

I'm still loosing weight, my blood glucose levels are still elevated even with my diet and medication and this can lead me to feel like I'm not in control and to feel down about it. I have to remind myself that the big picture is in the form of a 3-monthly blood test called A1C, which will tell me how my overall blood glucose levels have been ... and of course, the grace of God.

A friend asked me about my weight loss on Sunday at Church, and told me not to get any thinner. He asked if I was wearing my daughter's clothes! That made me laugh! Being on the outside and looking at my weight-loss must be alarming. I am eating food and plenty of it, just ask my husband:)

On the upside, I have so much more energy now, don't get headaches or that afternoon 'sleepy' feeling and I'm feeling like I'm nowhere near 40, plus Craig can't keep his hands off me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful my dear!By the way I laughed so hard about the 'mushroom' thing. It sounds like something I would do, so I took comfort in it!
love,
M

Paulette Foley said...

I think you look GREAT!